INTRODUCTION TO THE ARCHAEOLOGICAL EXPERIENCE
Introduction to the archaeological experience
Theory and praxis
The aim of this seminar is the contact with the professional world of archaeology. The seminar is held and supervised by Greek archaeologists and will combine the history of Cretan archaeology and the praxis of archaeology today.
The first week will be dedicated to the history of the archaeological works in Crete and to some of the current theoretical issues of the subject. For better understanding we will visit ancient sites and we will discuss on concrete questions of excavation. Excavation and recording techniques will be explored through practical exercise.
The second and third week will be dedicated to the praxis of excavation and surface survey. Field methods will be applied and explained as if in proper excavation and survey. Landscape exploration will take place.
The seminar includes:
The seminar will last three weeks and it can be continued so that knowledge and techniques regarding the archaeological works can be better understood and the participants can acquire more experience.
- teaching and supervision by professional archaeologist
- seminar and excavation praxis in groups not more than 10 people
- excursions to ancient sides and places
- exploration of the Cretan landscape
- introduction to desktop support and analytical techniques
- introduction to finds processing, archaeological photography and archaeological drawing
- Day 1: Introduction to the archaeology of Crete with visual support
- Day 2: First field visit and introduction to excavation techniques and tools
- Day 3: Practical excavation on site (recording techniques, stratigraphy)
- Day 4: Practical excavation on site (finds processing)
- Day 5: Practical excavation on site (introduction to archaeological drawing)
- Day 6-10: Practical excavation on site
- Day 11: Introduction to field walking techniques
- Day 12: Introduction to analytical techniques and desktop support
- Day 13-15: Fieldwork
||14 October 2002 until 1 November 2002
|Minimum number of participants
- Welcome dinner
- Farewell dinner
- Local transports in the frame of the project
||Hotel, food & beverage